Urinary incontinence is the unwanted and involuntary leakage of urine. Normally the bladder stores urine that is continuously produced by the kidneys until it is convenient to urinate, but if there is a problem with any part of the urinary system, incontinence can result.
Some myths about incontinence
Myth: It can’t be managed.
Fact: by speaking with your physician and StayDry you can regain control and manage your incontinence so that it doesn’t interfere with what’s really important in your life.
Myth: It happens to other people.
Fact: Sooner or later most people experience incontinence at some level.
Different types of incontinence are:
- Stress incontinence: this can occur when pelvic muscles have been damaged, causing the bladder to leak during exercise, laughing, coughing or anything that puts pressure on the bladder
- Urge incontinence: the need to pass urine, but just can’t get to the toilet on time
- Mixed incontinence: this occurs when there are symptoms of both urge and stress incontinence
- Overflow incontinence: this occurs when a person produces a quantity of urine that exceeds the capacity of their bladder
- Reflex incontinence: a loss of urine may occur when the person is unaware of their need to pass urine, which may be the result of injured nerve endings
- Incontinence from surgery: this incontinence may result following surgery such as hysterectomies or prostatectomy
What can be done to manage continence issues…..
- Consult a health professional and talk to a Stay Dry expert for all your needs with reusable continence products.
- Stay Dry is the proven Australian leader in providing confidential, tailored solutions for your continence needs.
- Our products are guaranteed and supported by expertise.
- Stay Dry products are constantly evolving and changing to meet consumer needs.
Want to learn more? Visit: http://www.continence.org.au/pages/information-for-carers.html